- - Mechanical
- - Single-Rope (single drum crane)
- - On-The-Hook solution
- - Touch-Down required to Open/Close the grab
- - No additional equipment needed
- - Shock-absorbing cylinder
- - Less maintenance work
- - Easy to operate
The Single Rope Grab, also called Touch-Down Grab, is especially designed for cranes with a single cable
drum. Also most vessel cranes have single drum cranes, that cannot operate 2- or 4-Rope Grabs. In such
case this grab will be a practical On-The-Hook solution. A mechanism on the grab, locks/unlocks the grab
to open or close each time it touches the ground. This system is mostly prefered, if there is only one
A step by step description of a touch-down mechanism:
- Grab is lowered at open position.
- After grab touches down on the material, the rope from the crane is released until lose. The
mechanism is locked now.
- The grab is pulled up and will close (buckets or tines), filling up with material.
- The loaded grab is taken to destination.
- At unloading destination (in this case, a hopper), the grab will be lowered to touch-down
again until crane rope is loose again. The mechanism is unlocked now.
- When lifted, the material will spill out as the grab opens.
- The grab is empty.
- The grab is taken to loading destination